Friday, November 02, 2007

The end of the world as we know it

You know something's afoot when Monkey Man has control of the remote. Hide the women and children!

Joey is snoring on the loveseat and will probably wake up with a king-sized neckache. Monkey Man had been complaining of bad stomach pains - so I put him in a warm bath, gave him a little Pepto, and he's feeling a lot better. Right now he's channel surfing as he could only learn from the master, his father.

*****

Work was crazy today. This headquarters job is absolutely killing us - it will take a miracle for us to finish the addition on schedule, and we still have the renovations to the existing building to slog through. My friends all know that I've been working on this cost analysis for EPOD for about two weeks off and on now - we are terribly out-of-whack in terms of costs posted in our accounting department, and what I've been finding is that our subcontractors are billing thousands of dollars in extra work that is unapproved...which are then being posted as actual costs. This is a problem - we can't allow that, but our accounting department has no way to discern what's approved and what isn't, so they're just trying to do their job (which in turn is screwing up my world).

We did have one good thing happen, though. This woman named Carol, who used to work for our company doing payroll for about six years, moved to Pennsylvania about two years ago. She was a really cool lady - she was like the mother hen of the office, always bringing in fresh fruit with some awesome marshmellow dip, making banana bread, keeping the kitchen stocked with good food. God, I miss her. Well, one thing Carol did around this time of year is make both pumpkin bread and pumpkin roll - which is like this yummy combination of pumpkin bread with some kind of creamy goodness rolled up in it. I have the recipe from a friend to make one, but have never dared because I just know it would never be as good as Carol's.

So guess what Fed Ex brought yesterday?

Yummy pumpkin roll goodness. I hid in my office with a piece. I figured I don't have to weigh in until next Wednesday, so one stinking piece isn't going to kill me. I hope.

*****

I'm thankful for my friends at work who keep me in line, save me from myself, and take care of me - right down to sending pumpkin roll. Not to mention that you all love lunchtime as much as I do!

4 comments:

MamaMaven said...

Mmmm, pumpkin roll with the cream cheesey goodness in the middle? I think I may have to throw one of those together for the neighbor who just had a baby!

Glad you survived the week!

joansy said...

That sounds great.
That work thing sounds crazy - I hope it works out.
Have a great weekend!

Gretchen said...

Pumpkin roll? I've heard of Chocolate Roll...

Builder Mama said...

Yes, and it's delicious. I'll have to dig my recipe out and post it. Yum.