Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm not pissed, I just look that way

You know how you're having a really good day looks-wise? Hair perfect, makeup flawless, and the perfect outfit for the day? You radiate confidence as you walk through the day, people smile at you, and you just feel like "Brick House" is playing in the background?

Well, I thought I was having one of those days today. New pair of pants, new Bad Day shirt, some hot heels, one of my favorite necklaces, and the hair and makeup gods were smiling on me today.

Around 10 AM, I finally escaped from my office for a few minutes to walk across to our accounting department. As I walked down the sidewalk, my friend Cathy called out, "Boy, you look pissed - what's wrong?" Well, nothing. I wasn't pissed at all. So I stopped to talk for a few minutes, went inside to get what I needed, and then walked back across the parking lot to my building.

"What's wrong, honey?" asked the receptionist, "You look like you're some kinda mad today." No, I explained, I'm fine.

Lunchtime rolled around and I walked back across to the accounting building to meet my friends for lunch. Beth came rolling out of the building..."Liz, what's wrong? You look upset, is everything okay?"

This went on all freaking day. And I'm not upset (although I was later on the way home which is another post for another time), but the more that people kept mentioning that I looked upset, the worse I felt.

"What is it about me?" I asked one of my favorite subcontractors who stopped by to see me. "Everyone all day has been telling me that I look like I'm pissed at the world!"

"Yeah, you do look pissed," he said, "but in a hot, angry woman type of way. I like it."

Um, okay.

I think I've finally figured it out, though. The shoes. The heels of them are so slick that despite scraping the shit out of them on the sidewalk, they are slippery as hell and I spent all day concentrating on not falling and busting my ass.

So tomorrow, it's back to my orthopedic loafers and my usual sunny disposition. I hope they can handle it.

2 comments:

Tanaya said...

Like I said, slave to fashion. I'll bet you looked great, if just a little angry.

Mrs. Wheezer said...

Well at least you didn't slip and fall? Too funny.