Sunday, April 05, 2009

Old friends

So today, I logged on here as usual to go down the blogroll and check in at all my favorite blogs and realized HOLY CRAP it has been almost two months since I posted anything.  And really, my posting in 2009 has been downright pathetic at best.  I think it was Joansy that said that she finds herself getting on Facebook way more than Blogger and how you get to missing the outlet that blogging provides.  I think it's safe to say that I fall into that category too...there's only so much of myself that I want to put on Facebook for the world to see.  Like pictures of my boobs, right?

Sorry.  I'll try to do better.  

We have a lot of catching up to do.  I have been busy as hell with a few important things that have been going on...reuniting with my college friend Amy, my high school reunion (!), and of course our trip to Vegas with Heather and Scott of Mama Maven and Man Overboard fame.  Not to mention just regular life in general and spending a lot of time trying to hold onto my job.   I finally let Reyna go after seven years and having the last straw with her, so now I have housekeeper to add to my list of responsibilities.  Joey has been having a ballbuster of a time with work, culminating with a colossal mistake at work that left him reeling.  My father's cancer is spreading, spreading, spreading.  

And yet, I have a lot to be thankful for.  Monkey Man is the light of my life, and even when things are crazy and bleak he manages to make me smile by just walking in the room.  I have a wonderful husband who, even when things at work were going to hell, didn't hesitate to bring me a yummy dinner home and then turn around and run out to get sugar cookie dough at 9:30 at night for Monkey Man's spring party at school.  I have great friends that buy me beer and wings and make me laugh until my sides hurt.  

And of course, there are the marathons of Real Housewives of New York.  What about that doesn't make life seem better?

*****

Let's start the catching up with going waaaay back to February and my lunch date with Amy.  

Amy was one of my best friends in college.  We were as close as sisters, and then my feelings got hurt when she ended up dating my ex-fiance.  Not good.  We hadn't spoken in probably 12 years when suddenly she tracked me down through The Devil Facebook and we eventually ended up arranging to have lunch one rainy Saturday in February.  

I was nervous.  NER-vous.  I called Mer on my way over to the restaurant, feeling pretty panicky about how things were going to go.  Was it going to be icky and awkward?  Were we going to click like we used to?  Was the dreaded subject of HIM going to come up?  Ugh, I was scared.

Lunch ended up lasting almost three hours.  It was just like the old days, just a little grayer and wrinklier.  She's married with three girls now, living up in northern Virginia.  We caught up on what we'd been doing, how we met our husbands, and all that good stuff.  And we laughed.  A lot.  

As things started to wind down (she had a deadline to be back at her mom's to get the girls), I asked her how her old roommate Marie was doing.  "Oh," she explained, "I haven't talked to Marie in years...she ended up hooking up with a guy that I was dating...."

The words hung heavy in the air between us.  What to say, what to say - the wrong thing could implode this delicate dance we'd been doing for the past three hours.

"Well, you know, we all do stupid things when we're young without thinking.  The important thing is moving forward and forgiving people," I said.  She exhaled loudly, and a visible look of relief washed over her.  

It was good.  We are actually planning on visiting her family later in May for a weekend sightseeing in DC, so that's exciting.

*****

Tune in again for updates on what else has been going on, which may or may not include being propositioned for a threesome, vomiting, and  baseball season.  Which may or may not all have happened concurrently.  Later!

3 comments:

MPPs Mom said...

What an awesome way to get through that tenuous moment with Amy! Go You!! I'm so happy you have reconnected :)

You must recap the Vegas trip, if only so I can live vicariously through you both!

Big fan of the RH series here too! and I cannot wait to hear about the proposition!

g-man said...

Um yeah, it has been a long time since you posted here. (You have boob pictures on FB? We are friends right ;)

I'm glad that your lunch was nice. I hope you post here more frequently (and more boob pictures too)

Love ya! Mean it.

Lori said...

Hmm, the proposition took place in Vegas at a sports book where you were checking out upcoming baseball lines & then vomiting occurred? What a cliffhanger! (P.S. It was really great to be able to meet all of you in Vegas & no, other readers, I had nothing, I repeat nothing to do with the threesome comment. Or vomiting. Or baseball.)