Monday, May 05, 2008

I need elastic-waisted pants

I got back home yesterday and will be living on twigs and air for the next two weeks. Bleh.

Thursday afternoon, I flew to Boston to see my friend Meredith. And I ate and ate and ate. And we drank. A lot of martinis. And we talked until I was almost hoarse. The weather was atrocious. Like no higher than 50 degrees and rain the entire time. But we managed to keep ourselves pretty entertained and also got in some good relaxing time too.

Next month will mark 20 years since I moved down here from "up yonder." Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get used to being down here, and sometimes I wonder how in the hell I ever fit in up there.

Things I miss about living up yonder:
The bread. Oh god, the bread is divine.
Authentic Italian food that doesn't taste like Ragu.
Good pastries and baked goods.
People that tell it like it is.
That you can actually drive and get somewhere without having people driving 30 in the fast lane.
Having stores actually be open on Sunday, and even *gasp* some before NOON.

Things I don't miss about living up yonder:
People constantly invading my personal space. I'm sorry, but when I'm going through a rack of clothes in a store having someone almost stick their head in my crotch to grab something from the rack underneath it is a tad unsettling.
The traffic. As in having to drive like you're in a Sherman Tank just to go to the CVS.
The lack of good iced tea.
The lack of personal warmth in some of the people working in the restaurants and stores. Seriously, I don't want to have a deep conversation with you but something other than surly indifference would be lovely.

It's good to be home. And even better, I missed three days of In-Law Interaction, which in itself was well worth crossing the Mason-Dixon line.

2 comments:

Tree said...

Welcome back! I am so happy you and Mer caught up and had a great time together.

Is your tea sweetened or unsweetened?

Gretchen said...

Glad you're home, safe and sound!