Saturday, December 08, 2007

Rip Van Builder Mama

I slept for 10 hours last night. I can't even remember the last time that happened, maybe back in college? Scratch that, I don't think I've slept for 10 hours, EVER.

The night before, I slept like ass. The meds I'm taking gave me horrible hot flashes and wierd dreams, so I thrashed around the bed like that chick in the Exorcist. Not to mention I think the babysitter had accidentally given Monkey Man his whole day's dose of Zyrtec versus the half dose (we do 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM) because he was grinding his teeth, throwing his water cup across the room, and talking in his sleep. Um, that would be why we split his dose up.

So after one night of that, I have a new respect for people like Maven who have ongoing sleep issues. Yesterday I was barely able to function and almost fell asleep at my desk, and by the time we got home and I gave Monkey Man an early bath I was toast.

But today is a new day, and we have planz tonight. We're taking a very overdue dinner over to Jay and Harry's house so the kids can all play, I can get my baby fix, and the guys can drink. I'm only mildly bitter about the drinking part. On the menu tonight - Chicken Crescents, potatoes au gratin, broccoli casserole, cinnamon apples, probably a batch of mac & cheese, rolls and brownies. I'm also throwing a pack of those frozen microwavable steamed veggies in the car for the kids, cuz ya know they ain't gonna eat broccoli casserole. Little heathens.

The Chicken Crescents are a good, portable dinner. Plus you can cook the chicken ahead of time (like the day before even) and then throw it all together in about 15 minutes and you have a yummy dinner. Kids love them too, or at least kids that will eat more than a chicken nugget. One note - I've fixed these with and without the crushed croutons on top and like them equally as well. So if you don't feel like having a box of cheese croutons lingering in your pantry, you can skip this part.

Chicken Crescents

1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
2 Tbls. butter, softened
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 Tbls milk
1 Tbls chopped onion
1 Tbls chopped pimiento (this can be left out)
1 (8-roll) pkg. crescent rolls
2 Tbls butter, melted
1/2 cup crushed cheese croutons

Beat together cream cheese and softened butter in large bowl. Add chicken, salt, pepper, milk, onion and pimiento. Mix well.

Unroll crescent rolls and divide dough into 4 squares. Pinch perforations together. Place 1/4 chicken mixture in center of each square. Fold 4 corners together. Pinch dough so that it encloses chicken mixture. Brush pastry w/ melted butter. Sprinkle w/ crouton crumbs.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

*****

Oh, and do you want a killer mac & cheese recipe that doesn't require 10,000 cheeses or baking it in the oven? Give this one a try. Kids love it. And adults too.

*****

Well, Monkey Man did do a little better at the end of the week. This, of course, was after I got an email from the mysterious Mrs. Smith who declared that he was having a "challenging" week. Then I checked his backpack, which I typically do every night, only to find four ratholed notes - all were "good notes" but two of the four had some kind of description of a negative thing on there. Sigh. We ended up having a talk with him yesterday morning before school and he had a good day at school. And no meltdowns, although I suspect that they didn't cover any kind of holiday traditions at school yesterday. Thank God. Or whoever.

Back to the kitchen.

No comments: