Sunday, July 01, 2007

The battle of the shower caddy

I guess since Joey is working on the 4th we kind of had our family day today. Starting off at The Almighty Temple of the Waffle where we gorged ourselves and watched tourists from South Carolina take pictures of each other in front of the sign outside. I swear I know I've eaten at one in Darlington, so was it really a novelty or do they take their picture outside every place that they eat?

On to Target where we attempted to find a shower caddy to replace our old one that had started to have its coating crack and was on the verge of rusting. Okay, that's a lie, it's been rusting for weeks now and I've been in denial because it was literally the perfect shower caddy. We have a lot of things in our marriage that we've found that we have to keep separate. Like toothpaste. I am allergic to whatever kind of tartar control stuff Crest puts in their toothpaste. I can use pretty much any other toothpaste on the planet as well as Drano on my teeth but Crest is out. And of course, that's the only toothpaste that Mr. Picky, I mean Joey, will use.

Don't even get me started on peanut butter. He likes Peter Pan, and even with all the salmonella fuss he refused to throw his jar away. I like Jif. I remember many summertime lunches at my cousin Laura's house with a Jif and grape jelly sandwich and sweet tea. Peter Pan to me is, well, akin to eating something at the bottom of the garbage can. I know it's a matter of personal taste, because Joey hasn't come around to see my way of thinking which is pretty obvious considering that he'd rather get salmonella than eat Jif.

And hair products. I have colored, naturally curly hair that ranges from being limp to out of control. It totally depends on the weather - if it's rainy, get out the frizz control stuff. If it's sunny outside, better use a little extra conditioner so that it doesn't look baked. At any time I will have three bottles of shampoo and three bottles of conditioner in our shower, in addition to my razor and body wash. And soap. That leaves Joey with one small spot for his shampoo. I'm not sure why he won't just suck it up and use my shampoo and conditioner, unless he's afraid that using "girly" shampoo will make his balls shrivel up and become completely useless.

So our last shower caddy was perfect. It had room for all that stuff and was still small enough that we weren't scared of snapping off the shower head due to the weight. And of course we couldn't find the same one nor could we find one that would hold all my crap without weighing as much as a sumo wrestler. So that means one thing. I have to downsize to only 2 bottles of each product. And this, my friends, is grounds for divorce.

And what is it about Target that makes you go in for ONE thing (aforementioned shower caddy) and you end up walking out with like 20 things? Like this cool Black & Decker griddle that was on sale for $19.99. I really did need a new one. Or replacement heads for Joey's razor? And a bunch of other stuff. What should've been a $20 trip turned into a $130 trip.

The interesting thing that happened at Target was we ran into my ex-sister-in-law Kelly and my niece who has such an unusual name that could be easily Googled that I will call her Katy. Katy is only 3 weeks older than Monkey Man and it makes me a little sad that we barely ever see her. Kelly and my brother-in-law had a very bitter divorce and he only gets Katy about three days a month even though he'd really like more. I think at the time of the divorce, he was so anxious to get on with life (it dragged on three freaking years because Kelly the psycho was making all kinds of unreasonable demands) that he would've agreed to anything. And he got totally screwed on the custody stuff, so he rarely gets Katy for more than a few hours at the time and a few weekend nights here and there. Anyhow, Kelly was unusually friendly and we stood and talked to her for a good 20 minutes before we bugged out of there to make the 11:10 showing of Ratatouille.

Ratatouille was very good. Not my favorite Pixar movie ever - like there were only a few big belly laugh type of moments in there, but it was a real "feel good" movie with a great premise that you can be whatever you want to be. The animation was spectacular, especially the chase sequences. It is loooong though for little kids - 1 hour and 50 minutes, so be prepared. We all liked it a lot, though.


So after lunch at a new Japanese place we scooted on home and basically have vegged out and done a few small chores around the house. It has been one lazy-ass weekend.



One thing that I have been working on, though, is getting used to these:




My reading glasses, after a FOUR WEEK wait, are finally here. Please excuse the bed-head going on. The strange thing is that I had no idea how much difficulty I was having with working on my laptop or reading until I got the glasses. Damn, I wasn't blind or anything but WOW, what a difference. And I guess at this point, my AARP magazine will come soon so I can read it while eating my morning prunes.

I am hoping this week will be a little quieter than last week. EPOD, The Fox, and Doug the Intern are all going to be onsite until at least Thursday, and since we have Wednesday off it will be almost like a mini-vacation for me. Either that, or because all three of them will be out in the field they will all worry the ever living shit out of me calling every three minutes. I can always dream, though.

7 comments:

g-man said...

Wow, those glasses make you like "Librarian" hot!

Target has employed some kind of mind control. I swear that when I leave after spending the requisite $120 I have to ask myself how long I was in there and make sure I got what I went in there for in the first place. Disorienting.

Esmerelda said...

I like those glasses! They make your eyes pop...

Tanaya said...

We blew $83 at Target yesterday and I went there to "look" at something we didn't even buy. Then, I had to go back because numbnuts cashier forgot to put everything in the bag.

Love, love the new specs!

Mitzi Green said...

the glasses are sex-ay. fo real.

and i did the same thing yesterday--went to target for a frickin' cheap vacuum cleaner and walked out with $75 on my newly spotless target card...dammit...

MamaMaven said...

The glasses are fab-u-lous! Talk about Target issues, we can WALK from our house to Target (and Kohls)...very, very dangerous!

joansy said...

The glasses are great.
And I'm with you on Target - that place is evil. I'm also in search of the perfect shower caddy - it's really the little things that make all the difference.
Happy quiet week.

Unknown said...

Love the glasses! And I didn't think they were even selling Peter Pan anymore??