Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Striking yet another blow to my vanity

A few weeks ago I was sitting at my desk working away and someone in passing mentioned that I was squinting at my laptop. Then a few more people commented on it. I pretty much blew it off - really, since part of my day is spent in G-chat or surfing blogs I try to look like I'm working really hard versus reading about people's lives on the internet. My bosses kind of frown on that, you know, since they're paying us and all to actually work.

Then the headaches started. Never in the morning, never on the weekends, but always in the afternoon.

Finally, tired of being headachy, I made an appointment at an eye doctor for this morning. And it's confirmed - I am farsighted and need glasses for reading and working on the computer. I can't complain because everyone in my family has had glasses for years, most of them since they were in their early teens. My vision, up until recently, was 20/20. I'll take it. Not to mention that my distance vision is still great.

So then the nightmare began...picking out glasses. I must have tried on at least 30 pairs, most of them were way too cool for me to even try to get away with. There was one pair that I tried on that looked just like Cat Door M's glasses so those went right back in the pile, lest he think that something he picked out was cool enough for me to wear.

And this is what I ended up with. The doctor had suggested smaller glasses so that when someone walks in my office, I can kind of slightly lower my head and look over the top of the glasses at the person. Which at the time seemed like a great idea, but now I'm wracked with doubts and seriously thinking that I should've taken a friend with me to pick these out. And all I have are visions of someone's grandma with bifocals perched on the end of her nose. Which is not what I have, but that doesn't stop the obsessing.

The whole thing is silly. I'll probably wear them to do computer work and that's about it. But what is it about wearing something on your face that makes you afraid of commitment? Damn, I worried less about some of the guys I slept with when I was single versus what frames I was going to pick out. (Oops, did I just admit that out loud? Oh my damn.)

I drove back to work with my eyes dilated and struggled for most of the morning to see anything that didn't look like it was coated in some kind of mystical aura. The fun part was making The Fox go through a bunch of submittals for me to make sure I hadn't passed over one because of my blurry vision. In reality, I was just enjoying the view, blurry or not. So shoot me.

So, my old-ladydom will be official in five to seven working days. I just wonder what will be next - hot flashes or Depends?

5 comments:

MamaMaven said...

They look fabulous--and much like my last pair of glasses. The eye doctor told me to hang onto them, I'd need reading glasses soon enough-gee thanks. Of course the surgeon helped me out and under corrected one eye so I can hold out as long as possible.

I bet they will make you look younger and cooler--if that is possible :)

Esmerelda said...

I have glasses that I've always worn at hte computer, very low prescription and an anti-glare coating. It is because frankly my eyes get tired, not because I'm OLD. And lots of people tell me they like me in glasses. I've been tempted to wear them when NOT chained to my computer.

Then again, there is always the 'See Clearly Method'

{hugs!}
Esme

g-man said...

Chicks with glasses are HOT! Period.

Unknown said...

Here's the funny thing - I think I look sooooooo much better with my glasses. In fact, even if I wasn't deathly afraid of LASIK, I doubt I would ever have it done just cause I wouldn't want to give up the specs. I bet you look awesome! :)

joansy said...

Pictures!! I bet they look great!