Monday, January 08, 2007

Of pigeons and men

Got lots of silly things running through my head tonight, so bear with me...

*****

No dead birds here but lots of good karma

So after all the talk of dead birds in Austin today, you'd think that reasonably intelligent people like us would avoid birds at all costs. Well, I never said we were smart.

Monkey Man had a horrid day at school today - what started out as getting up on the wrong side of the bed turned into a major, body-slamming screaming tantrum the likes of which we have never seen in gym class. And apparently he was either crying, pouting, or on the verge of tears all day. I determined that perhaps between not being in a great mood, some "friend" problems he's been having at school, and just being five, that maybe a little family time was in order. We decided to take him to one of the city's diners to get milkshakes and hamburgers and maybe have a little talk with him.

What we forgot was that they close at 3 PM on Mondays. Seems like we ran into this a few years ago and it just didn't stick in the brain. So we skedaddled on around a few streets and ended up at a place called Stool Pigeons. The food is pretty good and we ended up running into a few of Joey's vendors who were there discussing the local market and upcoming jobs.

When we got ready to leave, the waitress let us know that the guys had already paid our bill. And especially after Saturday's debacle, it was as sweet of a surprise as they come.

*****

Builder Mama, Library Fugitive

I ran across this story today about this dude that returned an overdue library book after 47 years. Along with a check for the overdue fines.

I'm sorry, but at that point why bother? I'm sure that Saint Peter isn't up at the Pearly Gates checking your library history. Or at least I hope he isn't.

Back when Joey and I were engaged, I checked out a few library books on weddings at the local library. I would say that before that point, I was one of the most loyal and diligent library patrons that you would ever find. Well, that all went to hell when one of my druggie roommates absconded with the books - probably trading them for some shrooms or hippie lettuce. I bet they didn't get much...I still have visions of some of their stoner friends sitting around with a bong and some wedding books going "Duuuude, I can't believe you traded the good shit for some stupid books!"

So here we are, 10 years later and I never got the books and never paid for them. As a matter of fact, I bet I'm probably permanently banned from that county's library system. And it's made me so paranoid about it that even though I've lived in this county for seven years, I still haven't had the balls to walk into the library and try and get a library card.

Yeah, go ahead and laugh. Go ahead and mock me. I'm an outlaw, dammit.

*****

Hooray to the MILF's

Well, a few of my favorite bloggers - Gretchen, Jen, and Heather - have jumped on the MILF bandwagon. And I want to send each of them a huge shout-out and props for taking care of themselves.

I think it's easy as women (and especially moms) to kind of put everyone else at the top of the priority list and eventually you find maybe you've put on a pound or two. Or twenty. Been there, done that. But I think that a time eventually comes when the kids are a little older, they're able to be a little more self-sufficient, and we're able to move ourselves closer to the top of the list again.

Even though I haven't signed on as an official member of the MILF's, I've realized in the past few weeks that all the good, healthy habits that I established in 2005 - 2006 went by the wayside during Builder Daddy's and Monkey Man's little medical dramas last year. So I've been trying to eat better, exercise regularly, and drink more water. The water part is killing me. We should totally be able to drink bourbon, and lots of it.

Anyhow, good luck ladies. Kick some serious ass.

*****

Hope y'all have a great Tuesday! As long as I don't have to do another mass-mailing of schedules, I'll be one happy bitch.

3 comments:

MamaMaven said...

Thanks Liz, you are good inspiration! Now if I can just get over feeling like I could eat the paint off the walls...

Anonymous said...

Um, where can I get some of that hippie lettuce?

Hot Lips

Tanaya said...

It's true what they say about kharma. Hopefully the deadbeats that stiffed you will get their comebacks just as quickly.