Monday, October 23, 2006

If this doesn't make me a lock for Mother of the Year, nothing will

I managed to drag my ass into the office today - with my lovely little baggie of antibiotics, steroids, inhaler in hand - and worked almost a whole day before I just tuckered out. Now I'm plopped in front of our fireplace, watching American Justice and enjoying a No Fun from Starbucks. I could get used to this.

Last Friday when we saw the ENT, he told me to call the surgery scheduler immediately to set up Monkey Man's tonsillectomy. Of course, she was on vacation Friday so it wasn't until this afternoon that I finally heard from her.

Guess what day he's having the surgery?

Halloween.

It was the only day available for the next three weeks. And we can't afford to wait much longer.

Amazingly, their appointment book was wide open for the 31st. I guess all the other parents are actually letting their kids go out trick-or-treating, huh?

I don't feel too badly about it. Our last house was set so far back in the neighborhood that our little cul-de-sac people gathered for an hour on the 31st to drink cider and give the kids candy. Last year I can't even remember taking Monkey Man out in our new neighborhood, although I think Joey took him to a few houses on the street. Typically his preschool has a big Halloween blow-out where they go from classroom to classroom and get boatloads of candy, so in my opinion that is more than sufficient for him. And with the peanut allergy issue, there's very little candy that he can actually eat anyway. Yeah, Halloween is pretty much a sucky day for peanut-allergic kids.

Now I'm scrambling around, trying to think of something "fun" to do for Monkey Man this weekend since he'll miss trick-or-treating. Like maybe having his buddies over to decorate pumpkins and maybe have cupcakes or something.

Or not. Depends on if I'm still coughing up a lung.

I got to thinking about it on the way home, and it seems like we have issues. Two years ago, we didn't even put up a Christmas tree because we were trying to sell our house. And the year that Monkey Man was born I think we barely even survived Christmas.

Just call me Scrooge. Bah, humbug.

3 comments:

Tanaya said...

You and MM will appreciate not having tonsils alot more than Halloween. Trust me. I hope this week is a wee bit less stressful for the whole family!

Mitzi Green said...

man, you suck. :)

if it makes you feel any better, bob spent his first birthday getting ear tubes. nothing says "happy first birthday" like outpatient surgery...

and he didn't get to trick-or-treat last year because he'd ripped a handful of hair out of a girl's head that afternoon, so he was "grounded." i think ben and i were more upset about it than he was. i'm STILL upset about it.

surely there's something in your area before halloween? we're going to a party at the library tomorrow night.

Gretchen said...

That's too bad. In the "grand scheme of things" - good, I guess. Here's hoping for an uneventful time...