Monday, May 15, 2006

Monday staff meeting

The annual homage to moi

Mother’s Day was lovely this year. We had a lot of fun this weekend not really doing anything overly serious other than tae kwan do on Friday night, and some serious drinking and eating on Saturday night with friends. On Sunday, we went out to breakfast, made a Costco run, and then vegged out the rest of the day and did a whole lot of NOTHING. It was wonderful.

Previous years have been marked by a 10-round welterweight fight between Joey and myself over what to do on Mother’s Day weekend. And by previous years, I mean since Monkey Man made his appearance in the world. It seems that Joey believed that the perfect Mother’s Day was all of us loading up in the car and going to visit his mother on MD. And frankly, I don’t even want to see my own mother on MD, so the thought of spending it with my mother-in-law was vastly unappealing.

Last year we finally agreed that as long as the obligations to our mothers were taken care of on any day except for MD, things would be fine. And so far, it’s working. The irony of all of this is that Joey seems to have completely blocked the fights of the last three years from his memory permanently, so when I brought up the touchy subject of what we were going to do last weekend he looked like an amnesia victim that had just been presented with a photo album of family members that he didn’t know anymore.

Maybe that’s for the best. Now, if I could develop some of that amnesia so that I can finally get over the year that my mother-in-law locked herself in her bathroom in protest that we weren’t coming to visit for Mother’s Day, I’d probably be a little less bitter about things. Notice I said a little.

*****

Another excuse not to get my job done

I am a Postsecret addict. Sunday mornings are spent checking the site over and over again to see if the site has been updated yet. Yes, I am pathetic.

My newest obsession? The website for Found Magazine, where people send in things like notes, pictures, or objects that they’ve found. Just fascinating. And just one more reason why I can’t get my work done in a timely manner. Check it out sometime, it’s addictive.

*****

This should be illegal in at least 48 states

Saturday, we decided to take Monkey Man to a monster truck show. Let me tell you, there is no better people watching in the South than to go to a monster truck show.

Imagine if you will – a woman weighing at least 400 pounds on her best day. Wearing a tube top. With a huge bra underneath. Shorts. A blond mullet. And a baseball cap worn backwards on her head. Oh yeah, baby. And she was one of the better-looking attendees.

On the good side, Monkey Man and our friends’ kids had a blast. And I think the big kids (the husbands) did too. The weather was gorgeous so I soaked up the sun and enjoyed the feast for the eyes before me.

All I have to say is that spandex is a miracle invention, possibly outranking sliced bread.

*****

I hope everyone had a great weekend. And I want to remind you that if you're like me and looking for something to occupy some spare time (or just avoid doing your job), check out some of the blogs on my blogroll. Good stuff, people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you did not have to spend your Mother's Day with your MIL.

Post Secret depresses me. I can't read it.

Monster truck show? You did WHAT?!

Happy Mother's Day!