Tuesday, March 28, 2006

And this would be why we have 27 pairs of toenail clippers

Dogs lift their legs to mark their territory.
Cats rub their faces on objects to mark their territory.
My husband clips his toenails to mark his territory.

Why is it that even if he knows weeks in advance that we’re going out of town for a few days, he waits until we get to our destination to start rooting through my bag looking for toenail clippers?

It’s become a very bad running joke between us. We get to the hotel, and he gets settled in and starts digging around for toenail clippers. Then he proceeds to clip his toenails. God forbid I haven’t packed a set of clippers, because a red alert is sounded and we have to dispatch to the nearest sundries shop to acquire new clippers.

We have toenail clippers from Las Vegas, St. Lucia, San Diego, Portland, the Bahamas, Florida, Jamaica…the list goes on and on.

Some people collect t-shirts.
Some collect shotglasses.
We collect toenail clippers.

I haven’t figured out how to display them in an attractive manner so that our guests can enjoy them, but I’m working on it. I'm thinking a shadow box with them fanned into a sunburst-type pattern might be very lovely.

2 comments:

Mrs. Wheezer said...

We probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 pairs of toenail clippers, but that's because we constantly lose them! Thanks for the giggle.

Renee said...

Very funny! I need to watch my husband more closely for good blog content! Men are strange creatures.