Friday, June 12, 2009

Big boy

Dear Monkey Man,

Today is a day I've been dreading for weeks now.  The last day of school.

This year has been a magical year for you.  I can't even express how happy it has made me to see you excited to tell me every afternoon what your day was like.  As we drive down the road to meet Daddy, you entertain me with stories about what you've learned, what your crazy friends have been doing, and all the good gossip from your class.  Your face has had that light in it that I recognize because I used to have it myself when I was in first grade.  

I never had any fears that you would fit in.  Somehow, you have always managed to make your own way and make friends along the way.  You have a special something about you that I admire greatly - you are able to give your friendship with a courage that I have lost somewhere along the way myself.  I hope you never lose that.

Your reading has exploded beyond my wildest imagination.  I remember being your age and carrying books with me wherever I went.  I had a passionate, mad love for the written word and devoured everything that I could get my hands on.  It gives my heart such joy to see you just as obsessed with reading as I was.  And then math - Lord, the math - thankfully you have your father's abilities and seem to have a natural knack for it.  

We discovered that you love to draw.  And you are very good at art.  You love to play sports, and while you're not the superstar of the team, you always try your hardest and you are a gracious winner and a good loser too.  Both of which will serve you well later on in life.

This afternoon, I slipped by the school to pick up your EpiPen from the clinic and decided on a whim to stop by and see your teacher, Mrs. B.  I wanted to let her know how sad you were today that it was going to be your last day - that you had actually told your father that you weren't really going to miss your friends as much as you were going to miss Mrs. B.

She gave me a huge hug and let me know that of the over 20 years that she has been teaching, that you are one of a handful of students that she felt a special connection with.  That you are not only extremely smart, but very mature for your age and have a special care and compassion toward other people.  She feels like you are destined to be a big success at whatever you do, and her eyes got a little misty as she talked about your love of history and how you have helped Nicholas with his speech class and how you were always well-behaved and attentive.  "Joey is very special," she said, "and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for him as he goes through school.  He will do great things!"

All your father and I have ever expected of you are two things - that you try your very hardest to do a good job at everything that you do, and that you are a good, honest, and kind person.  And from what Mrs. B. told me today, I think you are well on your way to being the very best little man you can be.

We love you, Monkey Man, and we are so proud.  Congratulations on a job well done.

Love you bunches, 
Mommy

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wonderful post. What an amazing man you're raising!

Piper Paradise said...

Gosh what a great note to your boy. I wish I had a mother that wrote such kind words. Good Job Mama!!