Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First day

The last week has been a whirlwind of football practices, a quick trip to Charlotte (of which we will never speak again because the Hokies sucked that bad), some fun and frolic with the Badasses, and of course...the first day of school today. Sigh.

I was thinking back today about the first day of school when I was growing up. I loved school (freak). I couldn't wait for school to start. But my first day was never special. I suspect that by the time I came along - kid number four to a mom who was worn out from having teenagers - my mom was happy to just push me out the door to the bus stop. I don't ever remember her walking me to the bus stop, or doing any kind of first-day rituals with me. No pictures, no cookies after school, nothing.

Gosh, I'm getting kind of sad now.

And then there's Joey, who was basically raised by his grandparents. His parents were so busy working trying to keep a roof over their heads that they were almost never home. And his grandparents didn't drive, so it really limited what he was able to do. Like he never got to play any sports in school because there was no one to pick him up. He did play baseball for an independent league, but only because he had buddies whose moms would pick him up.

Again, sad.

So, when Monkey Man asked me yesterday if I was going to come to The World's Most Expensive Preschool to watch him get on the bus on the first day of school, I kind of gulped and said yes, I would be there. I hadn't planned on going - heck, I was planning on getting to work early and everything knowing what a busy week we were going to have - but I couldn't let the boy down. If he wanted me there, I was going to be there, dammit. I left EPOD a voicemail explaining what I was up to and that I would be in around 9:30.

I crept into the school this morning where the kids were lined up waiting on the buses. I started snapping pictures when he looked over at me and waved me to come over.

"MOMMY. I'm not in kindergarten anymore, so really, you don't have to be here."

Oh. My bad. So I went back over and stood against the wall, just observing the kids.

He beckoned to me again.

"Okay, well, I just wanted to say that I'm still glad you're here." And he hugged me.

The little shit.

He really likes his new teacher, and has a few buddies in his class (albeit none of the Badass kids are in the same class this year, what were the odds of that?). And he got one of his beloved cafeteria cheeseburgers for lunch, so the world was good.

3 comments:

joansy said...

Congrats on the first day! He's a lucky boy to have you as his mom.

g-man said...

Yup freak. But that is why we luvz ya. :) Yea for back to school. (until the homework starts)

Kim said...

Glad he likes school.
But must comment on the Charlotte trip....Go Pirates ( hubby went to ECU!)Miss ya!