Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tag, you're it

So it seems that Aimee over at Greeblemonkey has tagged me for a meme. Haven't done one of these in a while, mostly because I'm LAME. Seriously lame.

I'm supposed to tell you 7 totally random things about myself. This should be interesting, because I'm bor-ring.

1. I can play the violin. I took lessons for about 10 years and was actually pretty good at it, to the point where some of my orchestra-geek friends and I hired ourselves out at a string quartet and we raked in quite a bit of money. The sad part of all this is I haven't touched my violin in a good 15 years if not longer, so this causes my mother no small amount of angst.

2. I have a degree in biscuit-making. Back when I was a 19-year-old smartass know-it-all, I did three colossally stupid things - I dropped out of college, got engaged, and moved back home with my parents. Luckily, my parents had already been through this classic show of stupidity with my sister 20 years prior, so they were surprisingly tolerant (well, when not screaming at me about throwing my life away). So I got this job at a small restaurant chain based in North Carolina called Biscuitville. For a year, I worked in the management team and as part of that you have to go to Biscuit University. I shit you not. I learned all the fine techniques involved in making the perfect biscuit, and I still use those techniques today. I don't miss the hairnet and mandatory brown visor, though. Or the fiance but that's a whole other subject.

3. I have an irrational fear of bridges and tunnels. It never used to bother me until back in 1993 when I moved to our fair city and was on my way home from work in my oh-so-cute red Mustang...when the motherfucker decided to break down on the only two-lane bridge in the entire city. During rush hour. And of course, it's in a somewhat remote area where the nearest gas station or phone was a good 3-mile hike up the road. In heels. I ended up actually accepting a ride from a total stranger (a woman with a little girl in the car so I figured if she was an ax murderer I could easily run while she was whacking the kid) and found help, but I swear it freaked me out so much that I started having panic attacks when I had to go across a bridge or tunnel. It's gotten better over the past two years but I still get a little panicky when I think about it.

4. I sang in a band in high school. That was an interesting time. We sucked, so obviously it didn't really go anywhere. But I looked hot in spandex, so there's that. I wish I had a freaking picture of it though, because it was priceless.

5. I have known two people personally that were murdered. One was our youth group leader in church - she used to have a group of us over all the time for slumber parties and such. Her husband went psycho and stabbed her over 30 times with a screwdriver in front of their youngest child. I believe that he did some time in the mental ward and was released a few years ago. The second one was one of my string quartet buddies who missed the late bus after school, was picked up by someone she knew, and raped and murdered. He's on death row now. Both murders happened within 2 years of each other. I miss them both, especially my youth group leader.

6. I am a terrible swimmer. I almost drowned when I was taking swimming lessons at the age of 8 - right there in front of the swimming teacher. I can just swim enough to get by but it's definitely not my favorite thing to do.

7. When I graduated from college, I had no intention of doing anything but getting a job as a paralegal. That year ('93) was the worst job market in decades, so I ended up taking a temp job at a construction company that my boyfriend's stepfather helped me get. Needless to say, it was one hell of a temp job.

So now for the tagging - and I bet some of you already have been tagged....

Tanaya
Esmerelda
GMan
Joansy Rambles
Mitzi
Jen
Oh crap, I need one more...well, if you decide to do this just post in the comments, directing me to your blog....

You may wake up now.

2 comments:

Tree said...

I bet your biscuits are awesome! So, the ones you made for your IL's - were they homemade? And can you share the recipe?

Unknown said...

The biscuit thing kills me! Great list!