Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lazy day

My head seems to have finally stopped hurting. Or at least yesterday it held off until around 3:30 PM, whereas all week it has started hurting from basically the moment I opened my eyes in the morning until the moment I fell asleep at night. Today, knock on wood, no headache. Yet.

I guess I could start by recapping what's been going down all weekend. It's so scintillating that I should totally offer y'all some complimentary No-Doz just so you can make it through.

Friday night was pizza night at Jay and Harry's house. I was really looking forward to a pretty low-key evening after a week filled with head-throbbing fun. Um, not so much. Jay called me around 4:30 to let me know that one of the peripheral Badass wanna-be's had basically invited herself over for pizza too. Now, it's not that I don't like her - it's just that Frankie brings a whole different dynamic wherever she goes. Like with Jay I know I can cuss and be normal and burp and maybe even unbutton my pants after eating half of a pizza. With Frankie, I feel like she is monitoring every bite that passes my lips, silently critiquing my opinions on things, and it's just....enhhh. Not really something that I wanted to deal with. Then she also brought her husband and two kids, so between the 5 kids rampaging through the house I had pretty much had enough. Finally, at 9 PM I begged off and we loaded up Monkey Man and headed home.

Yesterday was our voyage to Blacksburg. Monkey Man was totally stoked for the game, and ended up making it the entire time with nary a complaint. Well, maybe one or two, but mostly concerning being thirsty or not wanting to go potty at halftime. We almost had to drag the kid out of Lane Stadium kicking and screaming.

Add to this our traveling companions, Mark and Sylvia. Mark used to be in the group of guys that Joey hung out with in college - they were never close friends, but we usually see them at a few games a year. He and Sylvia have only been married for about 5 years and have a 4-year-old and a 17-month-old. Sylvia is kind of interesting in that she is very, very smart - a pharmacist - but yet one of the most insecure people ever in terms of raising her kids. She asked my opinions on at least 37 different topics having to do with her kids, and when my head was pounding and she was yammering on and on about her youngest licking the inside of the water fountain at the daycare, I just wanted to blow my brains out. I mean, come on - I like talking about kids and their silliness as much as the next person, but I really don't waste a ton of time mentally masturbating every decision that I make in terms of raising Monkey Man. I figure that's what therapy will be for later on if things don't go so well.

Sigh. So we got home around 9:30 last night, poured Monkey Man into bed, and I went to bed too.

Today has been a whole lot of nothing. Oh, wait, I did do two things today. I straightened up the lower cabinets in my kitchen (I am horrible about putting stuff away other than chucking it into the cabinet versus making sure it's actually in an accessible place and all the pieces are together). And I paid someone else to wash my car.

I'll make spaghetti for dinner and then do a whole lot more of nothing. Sounds like a lovely day.

I think I'm preparing mentally for my week from hell that is coming up. Monday, a visit to the dermatologist which guarantees at least half of my face will be burned off. Tuesday, haircut and somehow figure out how to get one of us to Open House night at school, and who is going to watch Monkey Man. Wednesday, back to the dentist for eight more cavities. And yes, I do brush my teeth religiously. Thursday, some bullshit lobster dinner thing for Rotary. And Friday, who the fuck knows. It's overwhelming just thinking about it all, so I'm taking the approach that I can only focus on the next day and nothing more, otherwise I will pull all my hair out. My hair that is seriously showing the gray and needs some color, stat.

And as for now, back to the couch.

1 comment:

MamaMaven said...

Right there with ya on the only effort for the day will be making spaghetti! We just finished :) Glad you had a good time at the game other than the verbal diarreha (or however the hell you spell that!).