Friday, January 12, 2007

I want to like you Angelina, I really do...

but I have to admit that when I read this, I liked you a teensy, weensy bit less.

I was reading this story on MSN last night and it bugged me so much that I thought about it all night. Angelina Jolie gave an interview talking about her relationship with Brad Pitt and her kids.

What bugged me? This discussion about her adopted children versus her biological child (and emphasis added is by me):

"The world has this opinion about the difference, then you wonder if there is a difference. In fact I found the opposite," she observes. "I think I feel so much more for Madd and Zee because they're survivors, they came through so much. In some way they're strangers because they had this life before me. Shiloh seemed so privileged from the moment she was born, I have less inclination to feel for her. I have to do the opposite from what I expected!"

The article goes on to say, "Still, she acknowledges, 'I'm conscious that I have to make sure I don't ignore her needs, just because I think the others are more vulnerable.'"

(Sound of my head beating on my laptop...)

For a parent to have a "favorite" - whether it's a first-born, or a child that looks like the parent, or has the same personality traits as the parent is one thing. But to trumpet your favoritism in an interview published worldwide is another thing. What's going to happen say 15 years from now if Shiloh happens to stumble upon this interview?

Angelina, please. I stuck by you through the whole silly Billy Bob thing. I wanted to believe you had nothing to do with the break up of Brad and Jennifer's marriage. I thought it was cute that you let Maddox and Zahara "express themselves" by wearing mohawks and yelling a lot at their newborn sister. But keep spouting this stuff out, girl, and poor Shiloh is going to end up in therapy for life.

4 comments:

MamaMaven said...

I've never wanted to like her and this pretty much gave me free license to admit it!

Tanaya said...

I think this one is going to come back to haunt her and poor Shiloh. Oh, and the admission about being on the pill with Diane Sawyer...yeah, I didn't want to know that either.

joansy said...

I still have my girl crush on her. I read the whole interview and while I still think it wasn't a great comment and shouldn't have been said, I think it made more sense in the context of the question -- which was something about people being worried that she would have more feelings for Shiloh because she's a biological child. The comment that I found most absurd was about the expense of keeping a big family and how they needed to consider the financial impact of having more kids. While I think this is a very valid consideration for most folks, I think the Jolie-Pitts are doing ok on the financial front. Finally, and I have now officially hijacked your post, I liked her comment that the only rebellion from her kids that she worried about was them becoming mormons. This ex-mormon who adopted the faith as a teenage rebellion against my parents appreciated the sentiment.
The crush continues (although I'm losing interest in Jack Black, at last).

Anonymous said...

I think she's lying.

And I never have liked her.

H to the L