Sunday, September 24, 2006

Back to the land of the living

So, I've been kind of missing around here for a few days. Getting ready to head to Cabo this week is seriously kicking my ass at work, mostly because I have two huge projects starting up which means I have all kinds of fun things to do like posting RFI's, filing for building permits, and other general bullshit that I hate doing. Not to mention the fact that I'm turning over a project on my first day back after our trip, so I have to have all the paperwork together for that. Yeah, good times.

The three of us took off Friday afternoon to go see my dad at the rehab center. I honestly meant to post Friday afternoon but two of my peeps coerced me into drinking much beer and consuming many wings for lunch and what should've been a quick lunch turned into...a marathon lunch of epic proportions. Good thing that Joey didn't get off work as early as he thought, because it gave me plenty of time to go home and do Drunken Packing. Which is so not a good thing to do. You do things like forget underwear.

Dad is doing great. I think that he should be ready to go home in about two weeks. He can walk well using a walker, but really isn't using it for support as much as kind of a confidence booster in case he loses his balance. His attitude is amazingly good and he had the old twinkle in his eye that he had before he got sick. His roommate, Bob, is quite a character too - so the two of them enjoy each others' company and stir up quite a bit of ruckus in the hallways. I think they secretly race their wheelchairs down the hall to impress the chicks, but neither one will fess up to it.

My mom is doing fairly well. She's exhausted, and not eating well, so I took this weekend to force feed her things like manicotti and cheeseburgers in the hopes that she'll take a little better care of herself. I love my mom to death, but she is not a very nurturing person so this whole illness thing has been a real strain to her. But she's been really good about going to see Dad every day for a few hours and he always lights up when she walks in the room.

I spent a few hours alone with him on Saturday and he finally confessed to me that he doesn't remember much of what happened for the two weeks he was in the hospital. I told him that I had written it all down on the blog and if he is ever interested I would print it out for him to read sometimes. And you know, as much as I hate to admit it, I almost regretted telling him that because I think maybe he is better off not remembering those hellish days. But I guess I'll leave that to him to decide.

So the visit went well - today I took Joey and Monkey Man to visit Dad before we left town since they spent yesterday at Joey's alma mater's football game. Monkey Man and I fed the ducks and Dad sat out on the patio overlooking the duck pond and just grinned. He told me that after having nothing but a brick wall to look at while he was in the hospital, that he appreciates everything so much more. And he sure enjoyed being outside today.

On a stranger note, apparently I got a spider bite on Friday at some point because it started itching like crazy and by Saturday morning I woke up to a tennis ball-sized purple and black bruise that surrounds a bite-looking mark on my upper inner thigh. Lovely, just in time for this trip and wearing a bathing suit. I told my mom that I was afraid that our friends would think it was a nookie-related injury, and she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, at least it'll give them something to talk about." Niiiiice. Thanks for the sympathy, Mom.

And...Chachi and I discovered on Friday that apparently our company is monitoring our internet usage, including e-mail accounts and such. I am majorly pissed about this, because now I'm actually going to have to work, dammit. Bastards.

No comments: