Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I can't think of anything entertaining to write about so this is the best you're gonna get out of me tonight

The day has finally come

Yesterday, SG’s company finally showed up and poured our new concrete driveway. This has been weeks in the making…with the great weather we’ve had this year, construction is booming and everyone has more work than they can handle – so since SG was really doing me a huge favor by even doing any residential work, I had no room to bitch when we kept getting pushed to the bottom of the schedule.

Last week, they unexpectedly had four projects get put on hold due to permitting problems, so two crews showed up last Tuesday and started the forms and the grading. Then we had some bad weather, a weekend fell in there, and then Joey changed the length of the driveway so the forms had to be re-done.

Yesterday was the pour. We picked colored concrete, where they pour “normal” concrete and then mix a color into the top layer of concrete and work it in. It looks really great, and I can hardly wait to see what it looks like in a few weeks when the color has fully oxidized and is more like it will be forever and ever.

Monkey Man is stoked. Maybe finally he can learn to ride his bike. Rufus is happy to have yet another surface to pee on. Joey is already mapping out where the basketball goal is going. And I am ecstatic that I will no longer have to pick teensy pieces of gravel out of the carpets and off the wood floors when they are tracked in on certain people’s shoes. It’s a win-win situation as far as I’m concerned.

*****

I think I will need a vacation from my vacation

My dad turned 84 years old last month. My sister and I have batted ideas around for a while about something fun to do for Dad’s birthday and this year we decided that we’d take a family trip to a lovely resort up in the mountains.

The catch, of course, is that my mother is included in the package. She is somewhat set in her ways and sometimes dealing with her is like dealing with an angry porcupine with rabies and PMS. I am hoping and praying that things go well so that we’ll be able to do more trips like this in the future. Or at least it won’t be so horrible that Joey is tying the bedsheets together to escape during the night. If he does, I’m right there behind him.

I just know that when we get back I will be exhausted from waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. And as much as I know we need this little mini-vacation, I am almost overwhelmed with the anxiety of what could possibly go wrong. So overwhelmed that it’s making me itch. Oh wait, that’s the rash….

*****

Something to be happy about even as a rash is overtaking me


Someone told me today that they think I’m beautiful.

It made me smile all day. And it gave me hope when I realized tonight that I didn’t spend all day overanalyzing the comment. I just took it for what it was - a very sweet and thoughtful compliment.

Maybe I’m one step closer to finally losing the Fat Chick mentality that has been haunting me all year.

All I know for sure is that it made my day.

1 comment:

Tree said...

I am so glad someone made your day!! That is important.

Hurrah for the new driveway! I loved stained concrete. Are you going to stamp it as well?