Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Report from Builder Mama Headquarters

A little update from Builder Mama Headquarters...

Blog stuff:

I’ve changed the comments section so that anyone can leave a comment. I’m a little anxious about doing that, but I also don’t want anyone who wants to comment to have to either join Blogger or give up a kidney or anything.

But if I start getting spam about work-at-home opportunities or hoo-hoo enlargement, all bets are off.

Oh, and to anyone who commented yesterday….there was some kind of flub-up with Blogger and although I clicked on “publish comments”, they disappeared into the abyss and I can’t get them back. I even clicked my heels three times but nothing worked. Today, however, they are working just fine. Go figure. But anyway, if you did leave one that hasn’t shown up, I’m sorry. Feel free to re-comment if you want to, or leave nasty comments about my comment moderating abilities.

******

In the “this may be a big mistake” department:

Saturday, we went to a fabulous birthday party for the son of one of my very cool PIM friends. (That would be Psycho Internet Mom friends, you all know who you are.) It was a tae kwon do party…and when we got the invite, I had visions of kids totally strung out on sugar while kicking and punching each other. You know, kind of like a bunch of drunk midgets at a frat party. As it turned out, the studio did a great job with the kids and Monkey Man had a total blast. So we did what any normal red-blooded American parents would do.

We marched right down to our local studio and signed Monkey Man up for tae kwon do classes. Seven months’ worth of classes.

I can’t decide if he is really going to like it or not – I am hoping that by putting him a little outside of his comfort zone that it will help build his confidence in unfamiliar situations. Either that or he is going to need therapy for years to deal with the emotional scarring.

Our first class is Saturday. Pray for me, please.

*****

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

So I am at home today – Monkey Man attempted to cough a lung up all night long, I got very little sleep, and we need to trek back over to the pediatrician’s office again. They changed his nasal spray on Saturday, and when I woke him up yesterday morning he had this awful snotty nose…and then when I picked him up at school yesterday, he had a nasty snotty nose and coughed nonstop all night long. I can’t decide if it’s an allergy attack, a reaction to the new meds, or an upper respiratory infection. Regardless, I am hauling back over there today to hopefully get some answers. And maybe some Xanax for me. I need it.

Monkey Man is currently self-medicating with grape jelly toast, the Super Morphin Power Rangers movie, and a large cup of milk. I will be the one drooling in the corner with the fifth of Makers Mark. Don’t wake me, please.

*****

If she’s trying to sell me on the job, she’s failing miserably

This afternoon, Joey is coming home early so I can go on The Interview Part 2: The Revenge. I got the phone call late yesterday afternoon from the girl who is currently working in the same position that they want me to accept, and she is bringing me out to her jobsite so I can get a better feel for exactly what it is that she does and what their expectations of me would be.

It was kind of strange talking to her yesterday, because her comment to me was, “Well, they want me to get you out here so that you can see, heh heh heh, what it is that I do.” Nothing like interjecting a sinister laugh into a description of a job that you’re trying to sell someone on taking to raise that comfort level, huh?

Part of me feels guilty for even going because chances are that I won’t take the job if they offer it to me. But the other part of me can’t let go until I see exactly what it is they’re going to offer. Is that bad?

Anyhow, I’m heading out there this afternoon and hopefully she’ll be in a slightly better mood than she was yesterday. Or at least do a better job at pretending she likes her job.

More on this tonight.

*****

And now, for something completely different

I just want to give a shout out to everyone who has been e-mailing me and commenting over the past few weeks on the job situation as well as the b-word.

Sometimes it's hard for me to put my personal struggles out here for the world to see, especially when I tend to be very self-conscious about how I present myself to other people. Do I really want people to know what a rotten person I feel like for struggling with the thought of having another baby? Do I want everyone to know my frustrations with working in a man's world? And most importantly, do I want to reveal my phobia of escalators? I guess it's a little late now, but it does feel pretty damn good to get it all out there. I can honestly say that my soul feels a little lighter now. Especially about the escalators.

There is so much going on in my life right now, but I do appreciate each and every one of you for your support and good wishes. Thanks.

4 comments:

Julie Marsh said...

First of all, why the hell am I not on your blogroll?

Second, I'm sorry that MM is sick. Again. As usual. CJ is sick more often than Tacy, and I'm thinking of giving the doc's office permission to automatically withdraw from my checking account, but still...nowhere near the struggles you've had.

The job? Yes, ask questions. Go out there. Get all the information necessary to make an informed decision. And do not feel guilty if said information gathering merely validates your inclination to turn down the job.

Tae-kwon-do? How cool! What a great party too. Even if MM decides that he hates the lessons, a little bribery will take you through a few months.

And as for sharing the details of life with the whole wide world, personally I've found it liberating. It forces me to come to grips with things that I could previously barely admit to myself.

Finally, the word verification should keep out most of the auto-spam. And if you aren't pinging your blog or submitting it to search engines, it's also highly unlikely that you'll get much spam.

Builder Mama said...

Oops...*blushing*

Duly noted and added, J! And glad to see you around these parts...I've missed you bunches.

I am thinking that at this point we will be lucky to have a savings or checking account after this round of allergy and sinus crap. It's been that bad. But nothing a little bourbon won't handle. And I'm not talking about giving it to MM.

Anonymous said...

OOOH GOODY - I can comment now. I will comment on not to have three kids. That I know to be too much to deal with. I can't wait to hear how things go with the kooky laughing chick.

Erika

joansy said...

Damn - I skip a day and look what happens. Good luck with all of your decisions. You have an amazing amount going on but I have no doubt that you will handle it all with grace, humor and wisdom.

I can't wait to hear the updates!