Monday, March 13, 2006

There's a reason they call it March Madness

There's a reason they call it March Madness.

I'm convinced that it's because almost every woman in America is pissed as hell because every man in America is glued to the television for the NCAA basketball tournament.

I like basketball. I even played a little bit in high school, although to say that I was good would be a huge stretch. I was adequate, and since our school was known for academics versus sports I fit right in with the rest of the players. One summer I even went to basketball camp for two months and the best thing I did was wrench the crap out of my knee and get to spend the last 3 days sidelined or sitting in one of the whirlpools hoping to make the pain stop.

I like basketball. College ball is my preference to the NBA, mostly because the kids haven't been corrupted yet by all the money and fame. Or if they have been, they have to keep it secret so they don't get in trouble and lose the gravy train. But I enjoy watching even though I don't get to do it very often.

I like basketball. But it makes me nuts when the guys from my office will disappear for hours during March Madness to hole up at the sports bars to watch, while the women end up stuck in the office covering for the guys. It just doesn't seem fair. When the craft show comes to town twice a year, do they cover for us so we can go ooh and aah over fancy guest towels and silver jewelry and imitation Wilton Armetale? Nooooo.

I'm just saying. Next time the craft show comes to town or Nordstrom has a shoe sale, don't mind us if we disappear for a few days. You'll just have to send that fax all by yourself.

No comments: